Sunday, January 3, 2010

privacy AND light!

privacy AND light!

Using the vintage shelf liner (not the sticky Contact kind, but the kind with the translucent white back) that I seem to find by the roll all the time at the thrift store, I have finally found a semi-permanent renter's solution for these three windows on my front door. You can see my entire living room through these windows, and that is something that I'm just not comfortable with, especially after our house was robbed last year! Before coming up with this, we had been taping colorful pieces of paper in the windows, but it just didn't look nice, no matter how hard I tried.

It suddenly dawned on me that this shelf liner would do the trick. it is pretty thin, and lets light through, but it is impossible to actually see through. I used the printed side facing in and the white side out, and from the outside of the house, you can still see the pattern, however more faintly. The windows themselves even feel warmer, so who knows? Maybe it has insulating properties, too! All I had to do was cut the pieces to size--I used my papercutter and made them a super tiny bit bigger than the windows--and then used double-sided tape around the edges to adhere to the inside of the window. Using ran my fingernail around the sides to get a clean-looking edge and to kind of seal it in. I love the way it looks!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:41 PM

    I rent too, and you have such a neat idea here! I copy alot into word and save it on my laptop, so this goes in there too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...