Tuesday, April 26, 2011

110::365 & right side vs. wrong side

110::365

Pattern: "Granny Square #97" from 99 Granny Squares to Crochet from Leisure Arts.

I made this simple flower square yesterday. Don't you just love the texture that popcorn stitches give you? The only modification I made to this pattern was adding a solid round of double crochet.

front::::back

Do you have trouble telling the front of your crochet fabric from the back? I know I did at first. In all of the books I have about crochet, I cannot recall a single instance where the visible difference between the front and the back stitches is discussed. The only way I can describe how it looks to me is to say that from the front, the most prominent individual loops of the stitches slant to the left, and from the back, they slant to the right. If you crochet left handed, I'm almost certain that the opposite is true. Once I figured out the difference, I never really gave it much thought until I noticed that a friend I had given an afghan to displays it upside down. Since it is a really simple granny square throw, it's basically reversible, and if you had never crocheted, you'd never even notice. Apparently I'm not the only one who sometimes thinks the "wrong side" is a little prettier than the "right"! Of course, with textured stitches like popcorn stitches, it is more obvious.

All of that is to lead up to this: 99 Granny Squares to Crochet starts off every single pattern by telling you to mark the right side of your work, even if you are never expected to turn it to the back side. This seems so very unnecessary to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...