Friday, January 14, 2011

8::365

8::365

I'm catching up! I kinda winged it for this square, taking my inspiration from a block in one of my old crochet books (well, book/magazine), Mon Tricot Knitting Dictionary: Stitches & Patterns. I can't tell what year it was published, but I find it really odd that the price is given in US dollars, but the patterns are not in American crochet terms. And I can't imagine having figured out any of the stuff in this book when I was first learning to crochet. Things like beginning chains are not used in the patterns, and it assumes a lot of things are obvious that really aren't. That said, it is full of cool stitch patterns and a lot of them are for crochet.

I wrote down the pattern for my version of this flowery square. Let me know if you try it out! If you have any trouble or discover any errors, I would love to know. And what the heck should it be called? I'm so bad at coming up with names. The pattern below is in American terminology, by the way! The links are to tutorials on how to do each stitch from Crochet Spot, a really cool crochet blog.

Pattern:

ch = chain stitch
hdc = half double crochet
dc = double crochet
tr = treble crochet
sl st = slip stitch
* = items within asterisks are to be repeated the number of times stated

Ch 7 & join with a sl st to form a ring.

Round 1: Ch 5, *dc, ch 2* 7 times into ring, sl st into third beginning ch (result: 8 dc, ch 2 groups)

Round 2: Sl st into first ch 2 space & then ch 2, dc, tr, dc, hdc to create the first petal; *hdc, dc, tr, dc, hdc* into each ch 2 sp to create the next 7 petals & sl st into the second beginning ch; turn. (result: 8 small petals)

Round 3: Ch 5, hdc (inserting hook into the back of the work in the back loops of the side-by-side hdc in the previous round); *ch 3, hdc* in the same manner 7 times, continuing around the circle; join with sl st into the second beginning ch; turn. (result: 8 ch 3 spaces on the back of the petals)

Round 4: Sl st into first ch 3 space & then ch 2, 2 dc, tr, 2 dc, hdc to create the first petal; *hdc, 2 dc, tr, 2 dc, hdc* into each ch 3 sp to create the next 7 petals & sl st into the second beginning ch; turn. (result: 8 medium petals)

Round 5: Ch 6, hdc (inserting hook into the back of the work in the back loops of the side-by-side hdc in the previous round); *ch 4, hdc* in the same manner 7 times, continuing around the circle; join with sl st into the second beginning ch. (result: 8 ch 4 spaces on the back of the petals)

**change color here if you want to**

Round 6: Sl st into first ch 4 space & then ch 2, 2 dc, 3 tr, 2 dc, hdc to create the first petal; *hdc, 2 dc, 3 tr, 2 dc, hdc* into each ch 4 sp to create the next 7 petals & sl st into the second beginning ch. (result: 8 big petals)

**change color here if you want to**

Round 7: Sl st yarn onto the center of any big petal; ch 7; hdc into the center stitch of the next petal; *ch 10, hdc into the center stitch of the next petal, ch 5, hdc into the center of the next petal* the rest of the way around, ending with a ch 10 & sl st into the second beginning ch. (result: 8 alternating ch 5 & ch 10 spaces on the back of the petals)

Round 8: Sl st into next ch 5 space; ch 2 & 6 hdc into the ch 5 space; continue around square, working *7 hdc into each ch 5 space and 7 hdc, ch 3, 7 hdc into each 10 ch space*; sl st at end of round into second beginning ch to join.

Round 9: Ch 3, dc into each hdc of the previous round, working 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc into each corner (I did 3 dc instead of 2 when I made this one, but it is too many!) all the way around; sl st to join.


Edited:

Thanks to my friend Melissa for including this square in her fun crochet-along! If you are visiting because of A Square A Day In May, hello! :)

1 comment:

  1. I saw your project for the this granny square and just love it! I am the editor of AllFreeCrochetAfghanPatterns and would love to feature your tutorial on my site with full credit to you. I know my readers would just love it and in return would generate some nice traffic to your site. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial. It's really that simple. Your project will look similar to this project already on my site: http://www.allfreecrochetafghanpatterns.com/Baby-Blanket-Afghans/Train-Tracks-Baby-Blanket

    I look forward to hearing back from you, and please let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...