Thursday, March 3, 2011

62::365

62::365

Pattern: "Granny Square #1" from 99 Granny Squares to Crochet from Leisure Arts.

This square was supposed to be a solid color, but I changed it up a little. The thing is, this is the exact same pattern as the "Tricolor Square" from 200 Crochet Blocks. See my 25::365 square for comparison. I hope the rest of the patterns in this book aren't the same as ones in my other books...! Isn't that fabric in the background pretty amazing?

stitch markers
cute little stitch markers I made from lobster claws and charms

I've officially started joining the squares together--nine of them so far! I was kind of intimidated about how to attach squares that have different numbers of stitches along the sides since I'm making a totally different pattern each day (today was a fluke!). Also, I wanted a border of the same color around each block to help tie them together because I haven't been sticking to a particular color scheme. I eventually chose this bluish green color, Caron "Soft Sage," to frame my squares with 7 "shells" of 3 dc each side. As usual, I'm joining as I go by substituting a slip stitch where I would normally sc between shells. The corners are worked 3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc, and when joining corners, I've been using ch 1, sl st in corner to attach (and if attaching a 3rd or 4th square to a corner, also sl st in the corner of the next corner, too), ch 1, and then proceed with the next shell.

It is really just a matter of simple math to figure out how to space the inner shells. Not counting the corners, there are 5 shells worked into the side of the squares. I take the number of stitches along the side, subtract 5 (for the stitches I will be working the shells into), and then the resulting number is divided by 6 (for the number of empty spaces between the shells). This final number is how many stitches I will skip between each inner shell. Sometimes there are one or two left over, and I have been trying to compensate for this difference either at the edge or just before and after the center by adding or subtracting a stitch between the shells. So far I have found this method to be very forgiving of the variations between blocks. I hope this all makes sense.

joining the squares

Today was a beautiful day considering it is still winter, and it was perfect for a day off of work! I spent the day with Junior and some friends. We ate at some of our favorite places for lunch and dinner, and for dessert, we took home cupcakes from Cuppies & Joe. Yum!

yum

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...