Monday, April 11, 2011

progress: granny square sampler afghan

the middle

Pattern: "Granny Square Sampler Afghan" from Better Homes and Gardens Crocheting and Knitting.

The middle of the afghan is officially complete! It was hard to get a photo of it because every time I straightened it out on the floor, Gerty came over to stand on it because she thought I was doing it for her.

gerty loves to interfere

What do you think? The colors are kind of as insane as the photo from the book, below. They're just brighter, I guess. Mine is truly a scrap afghan, as I am limited to the colors in my yarn stash. So far, this measures about 27" x 42" It would probably make a perfect little baby blanket at this point. The instructions in the book are super vague about how to connect the squares together, so with a little bit of trial and error, I have come up with a pretty accurate formula for squaring up everything when joining blocks of different sizes. I'll be sharing it soon!

granny square sampler afghan

If you don't own a copy of Better Homes and Gardens Treasury of Needlecrafts, I recommend picking it up if you are able to find it for a few dollars (it is on Amazon right now for less than $4 or even less if you only want the Crocheting & Knitting volume). The Treasury book compiles six individual volumes: Patchwork & Quilting, Applique, Crocheting & Knitting, Needlepoint, Embroidery, and Rugmaking. Some of the projects are super outdated, but most would be fine with more modern colors. Here are some of my favorite things from the book:

granny square sampler afghan

more from bhg treasury of needlecrafts

more from bhg treasury of needlecrafts

more from bhg treasury of needlecrafts

more from bhg treasury of needlecrafts

more from bhg treasury of needlecrafts

more from bhg treasury of needlecrafts

more from bhg treasury of needlecrafts

The last photo features the rug, but I really, really want that cabinet!

So I have made a "big decision" about the rest of this afghan...I am going to make the rest of the squares from different patterns. I have already made at least one of each of the different lettered squares from the granny square sampler pattern, and it isn't that I'm getting bored with it, but I just want to make new patterns! Now that I know I can add blocks of any size together like this, I feel way less restricted in choosing patterns.

Check out these two awesome gs sampler afghans made by flickr users!

2 comments:

  1. Love the first part of your afghan. What a fun pattern with all the different granny squares. And cute do too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good!
    Can't wait for you to share your joining method....then I can feature you during the square a day in may....we are getting close now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...